Django Social networking site - Some advice

by: Barnseysleftpeg, 8 years ago

Hello there,

I'm sure this question has probably been asked a thousand times however the reason I ask again is because methods/best practices are constantly changing and the last thing I wanted to do was start a project, get stuck, come on here for advice and then someone say to why are you using an outdated module :-))
I'm a beginner to Django but I have worked through the DjangoGirls tutorial, the official tutorial on the Django website and I've just started doing your (Sentdex) current Django tutorials as well.   As the title says I'm planning on creating a basic social networking site using Django for the back-end and probably Bootstrap for the front end and I was just looking for some general advice about how to go about it.

The user will need to be able to:
    . set up a user profile - for this I'll obviously need a database I was thinking of using mysql as I've used it before
    . post twitter styled posts
    . Send a receive messages
    . Instant messaging
    . also be able to   see the location of other users/friends on a map (Geo-django?)

I think each of the above systems will have it's own app on Django, I think that would be best to keep everything clean as well as re-usable however are there any specific packages/libraries I should be using in order to achieve the above?

Any advice is welcome no matter how detailed.
Thanks in advance

You must be logged in to post. Please login or register an account.

Just break it down into steps at a time. There probably is some sort of user system app out there, maybe some sort of micro-blog like twitter, definitely some messaging and live chatboxes. Not sure about seeing the locations, could do that a variety of ways. There are services to loop up the geolocation for IPs, then you could just plot those coordinates on a map or something.

My best suggestion is to focus on one aspect at a time. All together this is a pretty large project, but separating them into smaller ones should be easier. With Django, a lot of these requests are common ones and I am sure quite a few already do exist as apps. That said, you will still likely have to work to incorporate them exactly how you want.

-Harrison 8 years ago

You must be logged in to post. Please login or register an account.