Tkinter and its Linux compatibility

by: Felix K., 6 years ago

Last edited: 6 years ago

#Python 3.6
#CentOS 6.9
#Spyder 3.1.2

Hello,
I've written a python GUI using Tkinter on a windows machine. If i try to start this GUI on a Linux machine with a bash shell I've a problem which is often to find but unfortunately not so easy to fix:
"ImportError: No module named '_tkinter'"
Asking Dr.Google the most recommended solution is to fix that by installing Tkinter via pip or sudo commands. But I haven't administrator rights on that Linux machine. So this will not lead to a solution for my problem.

So my question is: Is there a way to use tkinter on a Linux machine without administrator rights and so by avoiding a conventional installation. Maybe linking or hard copying Tkinter? Any ideas?

Best regards,
Felix

You must be logged in to post. Please login or register an account.

I'm pretty sure its a typo it is
import tkinter
or
import Tkinter
depending on your version of python. What Linux distro are you using, and have you tried to install the python IDLE?

-GBC_2015 6 years ago

Hi,
I'm using Pyhton3 so it is
import tkinter

and so it is written in my code. No typo so far I think. The GUI is working fine on windows. That shouldn't be possible if there is a typo like this, right?
The Linux distri I'm using is CentOS 6.9. and the enviroment I'm using on Windows is Spyder3.1.2 via Anaconda3. python IDLE isn't installed on windows nor on Linux. But, ofcourse there is a python3 version on Linux (3.5.2) by which I want to execute my GUI.py

-Felix K. 6 years ago
Last edited 6 years ago

This is very peculiar; I am puzzled about this issue. There are two answers to this. 1 you install Tkinter via pip because not all Python, especially from the command line has all the "default" libraries. 2 ask Reddit.

But I urge you to do number 1; I am aware of you don't have admin rights, try to convince your admin? This is the only way from my perspective.

Hope it helps

-GBC_2015 6 years ago